Mental Health Parity
The new Mental Health Parity (MHP) Act requires that mental health benefits be equal
to physical health benefits. The effective dates will be the employer group health plans’
annual renewal dates.
Depending on a member’s employer group health plan benefits, and if subject to this new
law, a number of the employer group health plans administered by BlueAdvantage Administrators
of Arkansas will change as a result of the act.
Behavioral Health Management
Several groups, including the Walmart Health Plan, have selected New Directions® Behavioral Health
to perform behavioral health utilization management services. Members of groups that have selected New
Directions will receive a new ID card with a behavioral health telephone number which will indicate that the
patient’s health benefit plan now includes the New Directions service.
Your medical benefit plan may include the services of New Directions Behavioral Health. Please
refer to your benefit booklet or contact customer service to determine if this service is available to you.
New Directions is a full-service behavioral health organization based in the Kansas City area, and is
accredited as a managed behavioral health-care organization (MBHO) by the National Committee for Quality
Assurance (NCQA) and has URAC accreditation for utilization management.
Behavioral Health Pre-authorization
- A member may be seen a total of eight visits without pre-authorization or review. This applies to all behavioral health services for that member except for psychiatric medication management, which does not require authorization.
- You must obtain an authorization for payment of outpatient services after the eighth visit, in other words, beginning with the ninth visit except for psychiatric medication management.
- Once you have made a request, you will receive a response from New Directions within 72 hours unless additional information is needed.
Inpatient, Partial Hospital and Intensive Outpatient Services
- Contact New Directions for authorization of all inpatient, partial hospital and IOP services.
- New Directions will conduct concurrent stay reviews and will work with your staff to provide discharge planning.
For pre-authorization of behavioral health services
for BlueAdvantage members,
contact New Directions at 877-801-1159.
For Walmart associates, call 877-709-6822
New Directions WebPass
New Directions now offers a Provider WebPass, allowing providers and office staff to:
- Submit pre-authorization requests
- Contact provider relations
- Update your online profile
To access the Provider WebPass, go to www.ndbh.com,
select "Provider Section," then select "Provider WebPass."
Before using the Provider WebPass system, you must obtain a user name and password from New Directions provider
relations by downloading the access request form and faxing the completed form to 913-982-8227. If you do not have
access to a fax machine, mail the form to:
P.O. Box 6729
Leawood, KS 66206-0729
Please complete this form today to obtain your user name and password. The registration should be completed by New Directions
within two business days and your new login information will be e-mailed at that time.
Continue to submit claims as you do today through your local Blue Plan.